Friday, January 05, 2007

Scout sails into record books

A 14-year-old Scout has landed in Antigua to become the youngest person to cross the Atlantic single-handed. Michael Perham, from Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, finished his 3,500-mile voyage earlier today. He said ‘It feels great, it’s something I've always wanted to do since I was really young.’

After six weeks at sea, and tackling severe weather, including gusting winds of force eight and nine, with waves reaching 25ft, Michael was extremely relieved to touch land. He said ‘It feels absolutely fantastic being back on dry land, absolutely brilliant.’

Scouting equipped Michael with the skills to take on this momentous challenge. He said ‘With the Scouts I have been on many weekends away and summer camps including a trip to Kanderstag, the International Scout Centre in Switzerland. These occasions provided me with a variety of valuable experiences I would not otherwise have had. Scouting has offered me various challenges and taught me new skills, some of which have been transferred and used in this adventure.’

No comments:

Post a Comment