Sunday, March 28, 2010

Kingswood - Part Deux

Thought I'd drop a line to let everyone know how it's going up here at Kingswood. Yesterday was non-stop with activities, everyone had a great time doing things they enjoyed - as well as trying things for the first time. They must have been tired out as even I got up before them this morning!

Several of the Scouts showed leadership promise during problem solving, but soon realised the problem of being a leader - it's sometimes hard to make your team pay attention! Fencing was a first for many of the Scouts - as well as me - and proved to be a lot more tiring than it looks.

We had some budding little Robin Hoods shooting arrows; though they cracked under pressure when our instructor told them they were shooting for eating utensils. If I'd have had my way they'd have stuck to this rule and most of them would have eaten with a lone knife or their hands! Luckily the instructor was a lot softer on them than I would have been!

Circus skills was entertaining, our instructor was impressed with how skilled some of the Scouts were with diablos, flower sticks and spinning plates. It's no surprise really with the amount of clowning around they usually do!

Climbing came next - one of my favourite activities - and the Scouts didn't disappoint. Everyone had a go, and every single person managed to get at least halfway - most of them topped out easily! Quad biking was the final activity of the day, and it was no surprise that everybody wanted to go first!

The staff put on a disco for everyone later last night, which gave all us leaders & teachers chance to have a sit down. Kingswood even provided a cheese board!

I'm writing this with numb fingers by the way - we've just had a go at abseiling! The current activity is called 'Nightline'. It's some sort of blindfolded assault course, which involves teamwork and communication skills - and a heck of a lot of mud!

Think this will be my last post before we leave, but I'll be updating the blog later with a final part of the Kingswood trilogy (catchy title tbc) and all the photos I've been taking over the weekend!

1 comment:

Rich said...

I'm sure parents wont be enjoying their weekend of freedom too much to forget, but just to remind folk - pick-up is at 4pm. Make sure you've sorted your clocks!

Post a Comment